About this Speaker
Coach Vitale comes from Pima Community College in Tucson, AZ where he served as the special teams’ coordinator for the Aztecs from 2010-2013 and from 2015-2018. During his tenure at Pima Vitale has coached numerous All-Conference, All-Region, and All American players. Coach Vitale’s specialists have been nominated multiple times for special teams players of the week. In 2015 Vitale’s special teams units helped the Aztecs reach a 7-4 record and a ranking of #24 in the nation. In 2018 Vitale’s special team’s units helped the Aztecs to a 6-4 record and an appearance in the Heart of Texas Bowl ranking again at #24.
• Diamante Burton (RS) All-ACCAC Honorable Mention 2018 (9 RTs/340-37.8 avg.
• Jake Smith (DE) WSFL Special teams player of the week 10-30-2018
• Diamante Burton (RS) WSFL Special teams player of the week 10-2-2018
• Jaime Avila (K) WSFL Special teams player of the week 9-18-2018
• John Bowers (P) NJCAA All American / First team WSFL / ACCAC, Ranked #2
nationally 2017 Adams State
• Coby Oswalt (K) WSFL / National player of the week 2017
• Bryce Coulson (LS) Eastern Illinois University
• Presley Motes (P) WSFL -Player of the week 2016 Bowling Green
• Landry Payne (RS) #9 NJCAA rankings 2015 Oregon State
• Nathan Farmer (K) WSFL (2nd Team) / ACCAC (1st Team) NJCAA ranking #5 2015
• Josh Kimbell (RS) 2nd team all WSFL- 2nd team all ACCAC 2011
1st in the ACCAC and 3rd in the NJCAA
• John Keating (P) South Dakota School of Mine & Technology 2012
• Chris Mayer (K) Southwestern, NAIA 2012
• Jon Mora (K) 1st team all WSFL- 1st team all ACCAC 2011 (ASU 2012)
• Aubura Taylor (RS) 1st team all WSFL- 1st team all-Region 2010
Prior to coaching at Pima Community College, Vitale spend 2013, 2014 football seasons with the Fighting Artichokes of Scottsdale. During his tenure in Scottsdale, Vitale coached NJCAA & WSFL player of the week Teddy Ruben to 1st team All-WSFL and All ACCAC Teams. Ruben was additionally nominated to the All American 2013 NJCAA 1st Team as the return specialist with 7 TDs on specials. Coach Vitale also coached special teams WSFL players of the week Matt Kirwan kicker and A.J. Thigpen 2 nd All ACCAC Team Punter 2013. While at Scottsdale, Vitale coached in both 2013-2014 WSFL Championships and The Valley of the Sun Bowls. The Artichokes went on to win the 2013 WSFL Championship and The Valley of the Sun Bowl.
• A.J. Thigpen 2nd All ACCAC Team (P) 2013
• Matt Kirwan (K/P) WSFL player of the week 2013 ASU
• Teddy Ruben (RS) NJCAA & WSFL player of the week 2013
1st team All-WSFL Team / All ACCAC Team (RS) 2013
All-American NJCAA 1st Team (RS) 2013 Troy University
Prior to accepting a position on the staff of Pima and Scottsdale Community College, Christian began his coaching career in Waterford, MI; working first at Waterford Kettering High School, and later at Waterford Mott High School. During his time in Michigan Vitale’s special teams units began gaining recognition throughout the state. These units assisted in the development of both schools football programs culminating in a 13-5 record in his last two seasons within the respective programs.
Christian affectionately refers to his special teams units as “Special Operations.” This approach is derived from a belief that military Special Operations Teams focus on one unit, and one heartbeat. Each of these units are steeped in discipline, with a focus on groups of people working together for the greater good, and in doing your job better than anyone else. This commitment to hard work, dedication, and unselfishness are fundamental principles found in successful organizations, and sports teams throughout the country.
Philosophically Christian believes three simple letters as they relate to special teams; PHD. Passion for whatever you are doing, Hunger to succeed, and Discipline on and off the field, additionally he believes in utilizing each special teams unit as a weapon to place stress on opposing offenses and defenses alike. Christian brings with him an exciting and aggressive approach to special teams, one that focusses on matchups and in applying pressure to the opponent; this philosophy mirrors that found in other phases of the game. No team in the country coordinates offenses or defenses by committee…so why would you do that in the special teams phase of the game.
Besides coaching football Christian is also active in the community doing inspirational talks at high schools, youth groups, and churches about his personal life and various levels of adversity he faced while growing up. Christian lives in the Tucson area, and is married to Ann-Margaret, has a daughter Mia, and a son Stefan.